If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. (James 1:5)
Let’s face it: you need wisdom. This week you’ve been presented with a number of circumstances, in the face of which you feel totally inadequate. As you navigate the various challenges of your life, you acutely sense your deficit of wisdom. It’s easy to become overwhelmed and discouraged by what you lack.
However, you need not succumb to such feelings of discouragement. Instead, you are invited to incline your heart toward the God who grants wisdom from above. This He will do “generously,” says James. There is no stinginess in His giving, for “those who seek the Lord lack no good thing” (Ps. 34:10).
The only stinginess is on our end. We do not have the capacity to receive all that God wishes to give because we often seek Him halfheartedly. We have withheld parts of ourselves from Him. No wonder we lack; we are isolating areas of our lives from His wisdom—likely the areas in which we most need it.
It is time we start longing for the Spirit to increase our capacity, to widen our hearts so that we can begin to receive all the wisdom God desires to give. Sunday is an opportunity for us to do this. It is a context in which our wisdom-deficit and His generosity converge. So if you feel inadequate and desire wisdom from above, come and seek it; ask the Spirit to widen your heart to receive it as you worship with the church in gathered worship. He can be counted on to give all that you lack, and more.
PRAYER & REFLECTION
- In what area of your life do you feel in over your head? Pause for a moment and ask God to grant you His wisdom for that area of life. Thank Him for His generosity and acknowledge that He has withheld no good thing from you.
- Are you expecting God to speak directly to the issues of your life this Sunday? Do you anticipate a powerful visitation of His Spirit by whom He gives perfect wisdom? Take a moment to pray for LifePoint’s gathered worship.
Set List for Sunday, November 10, 2019:
- The Passion (B. Ligertwood, S. Ligertwood, S. Davenport)
- Heart of God (A. King, J. Myrin)
- Call Upon the Lord (C. Brown, S. Furtick)
- World Needs Jesus (A. Johnson, E. John, R. Williams, W. Schrock)
- Your Mercy (M. Dawes, A. Ivey, B. Land, J. McCreary)