Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. (Colossians 3:16)
Over and over again, the Bible commands us to sing. It is an important practice for every Christian regardless of their vocal skill level.
How regularly do you sing to the Lord?
Do you sing to Him in the morning? “But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.” (Psalm 59:16)
Do you sing to Him as you go about your day? “So will I ever sing praises to your name, as I perform my vows day after day.” (Psalm 61:8)
Do you sing to Him in the night? “…at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.” (Psalm 42:8)
Don’t just sing in church, sing daily!
Singing was never meant to be an activity we confine to an hour on Sunday morning. It is meant to be something we do as often as we can. If LifePoint is going to be a church that loves to worship God together in song, you and I must be people who daily sing His praise.
You can sing wherever you are and in whatever you are doing.
So as you cook dinner, as you do laundry, as you drive to work, as you instruct your children in the ways of the Lord, and even when you find yourself awake in the middle of the night, be a person who loves to sing to the Lord, so that when you gather with God’s people, you can say with the psalmist, “I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!” (Psalm 34:1, 3)
PRAYER AND REFLECTION
- What role does worshipful singing play in your relationship with God? Do you sing His praises often? Or just in church? Why? Ask that the Lord would make your heart overflow with a song of praise that glorifies Him in the midst of daily life. Make it a point to sing to Him daily, starting today.
- Who needs to hear your song? Your children need to hear you sing God’s praises, and so does your spouse and your neighbor and your co-worker. Singing can be a great way to “tell of [God’s] salvation from day to day” (Ps. 96:2). Ask God to use your singing to impact the lives of others for the sake of the Gospel.
- Will you come ready to sing with LifePoint this Sunday? Take some time to listen to—and sing along with—this week’s set list, so that you can be ready to lift your voice with the congregation.
Set List for Sunday, March 03, 2019:
- The Passion (B. Ligertwood, S. Ligertwood, S. Davenport)
- In Christ Alone (K. Getty, S. Townend)
- This I Believe (The Creed) (M. Crocker, B. Fielding)
- More to Come (J. Ingram, K. Stanfill, P. Wickham, B. Younker)
- Living Hope (B. Johnson, P. Wickham)