What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. (1 Corinthians 14:26)
Each Sunday LifePoint Church gathers as a people who have received “the Spirit who is from God that we might understand the things freely given us by God” (1 Cor. 2:12).
Thus in our worship gatherings something unique is happening—something more than what meets the eye.
Through our singing, our praying, our serving the Spirit is at work, drawing us near to the heart of God. This is nothing less than a work of grace. It is something we receive as being “freely given” by God through the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.
But what is to come of our receiving this work of grace?
In freely giving individuals access to His heart by the Spirit, doesn’t God have an aim in mind for His people as a whole? And what does this have to do with how we gather to worship as a church?
Paul answers by saying that when we gather, each of us has something significant to offer in order that the whole church might be built up (1 Cor. 14:26). Or as Jesus said, “Freely you have received; freely give” (Matt. 10:8, NIV). Indeed, what God has freely given you is meant to be shared with others. Your brothers and sisters in Christ should benefit from the grace you have received.
So when you come to church, you come in the Spirit as a participant.
As such, you have something significant to offer. Thus our singing, our praying, our serving, our encouragement—these are opportunities for each of us to offer grace to one another through the Spirit who indwells us. And this is by God’s design. It is how LifePoint Church will be built up toward greater faith, hope, and love for the glory of Jesus Christ—on Sunday morning, and in everything we do together as His people for His mission.
FOR PRAYER AND REFLECTION:
- Most recently, how has the Holy Spirit been working in your life to help you better understand the things freely given you by God? Thank Him for His work in your life. Pray that He would continue to increase your understanding and help you grow as a Christ-follower.
- In what ways is God calling you to share the grace you’ve received with others? Pray for His direction. Ask Him for faith to obey.
- Before coming to church this Sunday, determine some specific ways that you will seek to build up the Body of Christ. Ask God to guide you and grant you the faithfulness to follow through on this. Pray that, as a whole, LifePoint would gather in the Spirit as a family of participants, expecting God’s grace to be manifested among us in powerful ways.
Set List for Sunday, January 13, 2019:
- Hallelujah! What a Savior (Your Love Has Rescued Me) (P. Bliss, M. Carter, A. Ivey, H. Suh)
- In the Hands of Christ My King (C. Collins, M. Dawes, A. Ivey, B. Land)
- You Never Change (M. Dawes, A. Ivey, J. Reeves)
- You Are God And You Are Good (M. Carter, A. Ivey, J. Reeves)
- More Like Jesus (B. Ligertwood, S. Ligertwood, K. Stanfill, B. Younker)